Friday, February 24, 2012
D.U.M.B. Housing
So I have lived in an 'Quarters' apartment in west campus for 3 years now. I kind of hate it, but also, I like it just fine. West campus isn't very nice when everyone is drunk and making a mess, but it's a 10 minute walk from school, so that is great. The building and apartment I live in are kind of lame and have no character, and I pay way too much for a 400 sq ft studio apartment, but it's new and clean and everything works and I have it set up the way I like and I have a nice view and natural light, so really, it is just fine for me. I was planning on moving at the end of the school year and I didn't renew my lease. But I have one more semester left next fall, so I decided why not just stay there another year and not have to hassle with moving? I knew my rent would probably go up, but I went to check if my same unit was available for the next leasing period. It was available, but it had been reallocated as one of the Quarters' 5% of their units set aside for S.M.A.R.T. housing, and I am still a dependent of my parents, so I don't qualify... I argued and pled with the management, who are all idiots, but they said there is no way I could stay in my apartment next year... S.M.A.R.T. housing sounds like a great idea to me, but I don't think the city should just make it a universal mandate across Austin. It should be specialized to match the area the units are located. This may actually be the case, but if so, they should revisit their policy on west campus. I know someone in our class said they use S.M.A.R.T. housing in 21 Rio, but still. My apartment with the smart housing rate is $900 dollars a month for a 400 sq ft studio. That is more than what I pay right now, which is my rate when I first signed my lease 3 years ago. Get real. People who qualify as low-income are not going to pay that much. So basically, my apartment is most likely going to sit empty for at least a year until they decide it isn't SMART housing anymore, and I will have to move, and then end up moving again a year later. I don't know how much of this is to blame on SMART housing, or the Quarters management, but those make me equally pissed. Also, they need to stop building giant high-rise apartments in west campus while the existing ones are half-full. Maybe they should just burn west campus down and start over...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment